Se encuentra usted aquí
2017-2021 (Benin) Sustainable access to drinking water, sanitation and hygiene
- All parties involved received sufficient education and they coordinate their interventions to get a sustainable service.
- Municipal authorities and population are aware of the risks of unhygienic habits and change their habits.
- Municipal authorities and population get organised to manage the water resources according to IWRM principles.
- Results and lessons learned are collected and disseminated and are used for advocacy and sensitization.
>> List of activities >>
- Drinking water supply: 18.500 people
- Drinking water management: 721.000 people
- CLTS to end open air defecation: 80.000 people
- Latrines: 3.600 pupils
- HAMS-sensitization in schools: 20.000 pupils
- IWRM: 10.000 people
- Via Water NL via A4A
- Flemish administration and IMDC throughVPWvO
- Ghent Dredging
- Nature Solutions
- Private donations
1. Sustainable service
- improved follow up and flow of information (database, analysis,...)
- improved planning
- framework for exploitation and maintenance (education for technicians,...)
- management plan for each drinking water point (to ensure quality)
- working towards transparency and dialogue between all parties involved
- construction of new drinking water points, or rehabilitation of existing ones
2. Behavioral change
- CLTS: Community led total sanitation, the whole community is involved in working towards better hygiene
- establishment of CLTS-committees
- establishment of HAMS clubs at school: working towards better hygiene in school and at home
- establishment sani-marché (sanitation market): information and construction materials for latrines
- waste collection in market places
3. Integrated water resources management
- surveys of river basins: risks, threats, preventive measures, management,...
- management of smaller river basins (fight against deforestation and erosion, measures against floods and pollution,...)
4. Results and lessons learned
- exchange on CLTS experiences between municipalities
- give a voice to water user associations
- engage different media for sensitization and advocacy
- sensitization activities on World Water Day, World Handwashing Day...
- PNE - Partenariat Nationale de l’Eau au Bénin
- The municipalities of Dogbo, Athiémé, Lokossa, Bopa, Lalo and Toviklin.
Would you like to support this program? Please contact: harald [dot] vanderhoek [at] joinforwater [dot] ngo