Se encuentra usted aquí
2017-2021 (Burundi) Agua potable, higiene y saneamiento en Bubanza and Bujumbura Rural
- There is drinking water and sanitary infrastructure and it is well managed.
- Local authorities and other involved parties are trained and know their duties and responsibilities (capacity building).
- Socio-economic circumstances have improved for 175 underpriviliged families. An underpriviliged family can be a family headed by a widow, or a family that suffers from malnutrition.
- Lessons learned are collected and disseminated at all levels.
>> List of activities >>
- Access to drinking water : more than 20.000 people
- Access to sanitation: more than 5.000 people
- Special attention for underpriviliged families: 175 women-head of family
- ACLVB/CGSLB via Sociaal Fonds Voeding VIA
- Private donations
1. Construction and management of infrastructure
- Construction of a drinking water systems that will serve households and public places.
- Construction of sanitary facilities in schools.
- Construction of EcoSan latrines in schools.
- Construction of rainwater harvesting systems in schools.
2. Capacity building (execution: partner AVEDEC)
- Training for municipal authorities on project ownership, integrated water resources management, planning, tenders, exchange,...
- Delegation of management to local structures where water users are involved: learning how it is done and how to make sure that it works properly.
- Sensitization of the population, especially through schools and families, regarding good hygienical behavior and local implementation of IWRM.
3. Improved situation for underpriviliged families
- underpriviliged families receive a family pack that contains:
- a latrine
- a kitchen garden, a compost bin, a more efficient oven (in synergy with Caritas International, Belgium)
- shower, drying rack, hand washing facility
- education on balanced nutrition and on income generating activities
- The families receive training on use and maintenance.
4. Lessons learned
- The experiences/findings of all activities will be collected and disseminated: locally, towards other municipalities, water sector, public service offices, etc.
- Organisation of 2 national workshops and 4 regional workshops for sharing experiences.
Protos mainly wants to follow up the existing infrastructure to ensure its sustainability. There is also a "plan GIRE 2015-2020" - Integrated Water Resources Management - of which Protos will monitor the implementation. Examples of activities are replanting crops; promoting vegetable cultivation; revitalising committees for river basin management and drinking water; using manure from the latrines;....
- AVEDEC: Association Villageoise pour l’Entraide et le Développement Communautaire, a Join For Water partner since 2008
Would you like to support this program? Please contact Harald van der Hoek, thematic and geographic adviser for Burundi: harald [dot] vanderhoek [at] joinforwater [dot] ngo